How to Replace Notepad With Notepad++ in Windows 7, 8/8.1, 10
Notepad++ text editor a text editor which is used everyone that comes with all the version of Windows including windows 7,8 and 10. In years notepad is a windows staple that hasn’t really changed. Notepad++ text editors are great, fast, user friendly and easy to use for simple things like editing configuration, taking fast notes or even HTML file. This is probably the best editor for saving taking notes or short code snippets.
When you install new windows, it is set as the default program to open LOG and TXT files. Instead of the Notepad many peoples choose to use Notepad++ for editing the TXT files. In some situation like after you install Notepad++ in windows, It is not set as the default program to handle the LOG and TXT files.
However, if you want to open and edit these files in windows 10 by using the Notepad++ then you should follow these steps.
- Download and install the Notepad++ from official site.
- Right clicking on its desktop shortcut for launch notepad++ and then choosing Run as administrator.
- Open notepad++ windows go to settings from the menu bar and then preferences to access the notepad++ options.
- Select File Association and then choose notepad after that move the extensions using the right arrow button select .txt and .log from the left to the right list.
- To close the preferences windows click on the close button. Close Notepad++ window.
- Double click on it and now try to opening any TXT file. Here, windows will ask you to select a default program.
- Select Notepad++ from the list, and choose Always use this app to open.txt files.
- Click on the Ok button.
To open the TXT files after this Notepad++ will be set as the default program. You will have to repeat the last step just like for the TXT files, for the LOG files. If you want to revert back to Windows, then you can right-click on any TXT file and select Open with ->Use another app and then choose notepad from the list.
Notepad++ is a free source code editor and easy to use and Notepad replacement that supports many languages. Now let’s see how you can replace Notepad without replacing any system files.